Skip to main content

Bereavement: A Shared Experience (Part 1)

After the death of my brother in October last year one of the means that God used to comfort me and help me handle the grief of losing my brother was through reading of books. One such book that I read was "Bereavement: A Shared Experience" by Helen Alexander. This book was recommended by Reverend Joe Simfukwe during a webinar that he and Reverend Joe Kapolyo facilitated on Handling Grief. I have taken the headings from the book and written my own thoughts based on the chapters under the headings below.


'So Alone!': The Fact of Death

When I heard the death of my brother Kenneth, I felt that he slipped away from us too suddenly. The evening before around 21 00 hours my brother in law Matthew and I were with him and said bye, the next morning around 02 00 hours we got a call that he was no more. Seeing my brother in the mortuary as we identified his body made my tears flow and made me realize that my brother had passed on for real. Seeing his body in the casket after it had been prepared by the funeral home made me come to terms with the fact that my brother’s death was indeed a reality.

Saying Goodbye: Acknowledging Reality

The service at the Cathedral of Blessing in Emmasdale was such a blessing and helped bring comfort to my grieving heart. The hymns we sang (some of which we had chosen) as well as the preaching of God's word (interestingly from Revelation 13 which I had also quoted in the Funeral Programme flyer) were comforting. The photos that were projected on the screen in church helped in reliving some of the precious times we had with my late brother. The body viewing though it caused me to cry a lot also made me be at peace as my late brother looked peaceful. The contribution of the church and the police towards the funeral church service and burial were helpful in giving Kenneth a fitting send off.

'It's Like My Heart is Breaking!': The Truth Sinks In

After we buried Kenneth and got back home the following day, the truth set in that he was no more. The chair he used to sit on at our home was vacant. The bedroom he slept in was empty. It felt so unreal. The times I went to his Ndola home to sort out things, the house looked like he had planned to come back after his hospital appointments. It felt so unbelievable that Kenny was not coming back to this home.


Gabriel Konayuma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)! Memories of Kafue Secondary School The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson. The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 8

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be