Skip to main content

Reflections on Virtual Keswick Convention 2020

Image Credit: Keswick Ministries

This past week from 27th to 31st July, 2020 I participated in the Virtually Keswick Convention 2020. The Keswick Convention normally takes place for 3 weeks in the lake district of Sheffield in England but this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has brought out restrictions on large gatherings, the organisers decided to have an online Convention. Keswick Ministries exists to inspire and equip Christians to love and live for Christ in His world. There are three fundamental priorities which shape the work of Keswick Ministries as they look to serve the local church: hearing God's word, becoming like God's on and serving God's Mission. The theme of the Virtual Keswick Convention 2020 was Hope. A very timely theme considering the times that we live in due to the global pandemic. Each day had the following sessions:
  • Morning Bible Readings from Psalms 2-6 by Christopher Ash
  • Seminars
  • Keswick 4 Kids
  • Keswick Youth
  • Prayer
  • Evening Celebrations
  • Count Everyone In: for those with learning disabilities
I found the Morning Bible Readings by Christopher Ash very useful. Christopher did a very clear exposition of Psalms 2 to 6 from Monday to Friday that gave me a deeper appreciation of these Psalms even though I had heard them before and had heard them preached from before. 

On 27 July, Christopher Ash preached from Psalm 2 encouraging us that the Psalm offered us "hope because Jesus rules". The Psalm was divided into 3 scenes: One pointless riot (vv.1-3): Crowd taking a stand against the Lord, One Perfect King (vv. 4-6): God laughs but is not amused, One Praying Son (vv. 7-9): God invites the Son to ask - to pray. So what? (vv. 10-12): God reigns: be wise, serve the Lord and be warned! 

On 28 July, Christopher preached from Psalm 3 where he encouraged us to hope because Jesus was saved. We were exhorted on 1) the need to expect pressure in Christ (vv. 1-2), 2) claim the promises in Christ (vv. 3-4), 3) enjoy the promises (vv. 5-6) and 4) look forward to the victory in Christ (vv. 7-8).  

On 29 July, the teaching from Psalm 4 was on hoping because Jesus Slept. The sermon focussed on how to deal with anger looking at Christ's example. 

On 30 July, Christopher encouraged us to hope because Jesus is Righteous. On the final day of the Convention, the preaching was from Psalm 6 with an exhortation to hope because Jesus wept. In verses 4-7 the lesson is to weep for sins as David and Jesus wept.  

You can watch or listen to the recordings of these sermons here: Bible Readings

I also found the sermons preached in the evening celebrations helpful. I listened to the following sermons:
  • "Why hope?" Grace! from 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17 by Mike Cain.
  • "How Can I hope? New Birth! from 1 Peter by Andy Prime.
  • "Our Hope: The appearing of Jesus Christ" from Titus 2:11-14 by Graham Daniels.
  • "Our Hope: The Glory of God!" from Romans 5:1-5 by Jeremy McQuoid.
These sermons were well expounded and I would encourage you to find time to watch the recorded YouTube videos or listen to the audio podcasts here: Evening Celebrations as you commute or drive to work.

The seminars that I managed to listen to and watch were quite useful and practical. I would recommend you find time to listen to them from this link: Seminars.  

I listened to the seminars on: "Our Future Hope" by Michael Reeves, "Hope and Grief" by Joanna Jackson and "Hope in and Through the Local Church". 

Each day started with a time of prayer. The recordings of the prayer meetings can be found here: Prayer

I cannot end by saying that I found the daily Book Recommendations by Jonathan Carswell of 10ofthose staff very useful. I ordered the book recommendations for Monday morning and I patiently wait for their arrival. For more information and how to order these books visit: Book Recommendations

The worship in song was also amazing. I am grateful to God for Emu in leading us in such wonderful singing on each of the 5 days. Find time to listen to some of the great hymns and songs that were sung during the Convention: Sung Worship. One of my favourites songs was This Life I Live:

1. This life I live is not my own,
For my redeemer paid the price.
He took it to be his alone,
To be his treasure and his prize.
The things of earth I leave behind
To live in worship of my King.
His is the right to rule my life,
Mine is the joy to live for him.

2. I died to sin upon the cross
I’m bound to Jesus in his death
The old is gone, and now I must
Rely on him for every breath
With every footstep that I tread
What mysteries he has in store
I cannot know what lies ahead
But know that he has gone before.

3. There is a voice that pierced the grave
A power that rolled the stone away
A sound of life, I know I’m saved
The voice of God has called my name
So I will rise, and in the air
Behold the glory of the King
I will not fear to meet him there
I know my life is hid with him.

© 2009 Michael Morrow
CCLI Song Number: 5592986


I would like to thank God for enabling me to be part of the Virtually Keswick Convention 2020. I thank God for those that spoke from God's word and for all the organisers. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)! Memories of Kafue Secondary School The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson. The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 8

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be