Skip to main content

"Karibu Kenya"

Landing in Nairobi

"Karibu Kenya" or "Welcome to Kenya" is the atmosphere we feel as we land in Kenya. I have just landed at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi after a flight of slightly over two hours from Lusaka. The date is Saturday, 27th May 2007. It is my first time to visit Kenya since I was born. This is one of the nations I have always looked forward to visit. After completing the immigration formalities at the airport I head to look for my checked in bag. Finding the bag I begin to look for Keith Underhill, pastor of Trinity Baptist Church in Nairobi, who has come to pick me up. Immediately I see him I recognize him, though I last saw him thirteen years ago. He is with Jacob, a member of his church. We exchange greetings and move to the vehicle and drive off from the airport. As we drive off, Pastor Underhill has to pay some gate fee at the exit gate. He leaves a gospel tract with the man collecting the money. I take note and ask myself: "how much of gospel tract distribution, do I do and how regularly?" After driving a short while, Jacob and I get off the car. We wait to catch a "matatu" (mini-bus) into Nairobi town centre. The experience is quite interesting. Music is played loudly on the matatu as if trying to 'test' the endurance levels of one's ears!



Gabriel in Nairobi city centre


Shopping at the Market


Soon we arrive at the town centre. As we walk through town, I see the Kenyatta International Conference Centre. I've always been impressed by the design of the Centre as I have seen it in photos. Now I see it face to face. It is a cylindrical in shape and quite tall. I take a few camera shots and ask Jacob to take a few shots of me. As we heard towards the markets, my host shows me some government buildings including the Kenya Polytechnic. We then get to the market. There with the competent aid of Jacob I'm able to buy a few t-shirts, some Kenyan crated leather sandals and a Kenyan shirt. But soon darkness begins to envelop the skies. We must head towards Greenfields, the residence of Pastor and Mrs. Underhill. We get on a matatu and make our way.



Staying with the Underhill's

Soon we are at the doorsteps of the Underhill's home and are ushered inside. I am going to spend a night at their home. After some greetings we are ushered to the dining table for supper. Apart from Mr. and Mrs. Underhill there is Steve and Carol at table. We enjoy the meal and chatting as well as we share news and information about Kenya and Zambia, and our respective churches. After sometime Pastor Underhill excuses himself to prepare sermons for the following day. I remain chatting with Mrs. Underhill on various aspects of work and church life and other matters. But soon the body is weary and must resign itself to bed. However, only after I put my finishing touches to the presentation I am to make on Monday at the UNESCO Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Summit. Well before midnight I drift into slumber land.



Worshiping at Trinity Baptist Church


The arrival of Sunday is an exciting day for me. This is because I'm looking forward to attending church services at Trinity Baptist Church. I've heard much about the church and read their Grace and Truth magazine. I've also listened to Pastor Underhill preach in Zambia in 1994. Before church we have a delicious breakfast and get ready to get on time for the Bible Study at 09 30. The manse (Underhill's home) is next to the church. The study begins with some singing. Pastor Masunga makes some enlightening comments on the song "Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God". The song has some stanzas I've never heard of. The study is rich with biblical teaching. After the study, there is a brief break where I get to meet new friends. The morning service commences at 11 00. The worship service hymns are sang in English and Swahili. The Swahili hymns sound good and pleasant to the ear. I'm taken back into history more than twenty years ago when I used to sing in the School church choir at Kafue Secondary School. We would sing some Swahili songs apart from other Zambian languages and English.



Pastor Underhill preaches a gospel message. The sermon is clear and to the point. After the morning service, we hang around church as I meet yet more new friends. It's good to meet fellow church members as a church member from other churches. This church has members from Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan. Between 13 00 and 14 00 we have lunch at church. It's good to have fellowship over a meal as a church. Later at 15 00 we have a prayer meeting followed by an afternoon service at 16 00. After the service, I am given a lift by a church member to Nairobi Safari Club where I have been booked. Later in the evening, a good old friend from University of Zambia, Dennis, who works in Nairobi comes to pick me up from the hotel to his home. It is good to meet a brother whom we fellowshipped and served together with at the University Christian Fellowship and Lusaka Baptist Church. On the way to his home we pick up Rhoda, another Zambian working in Nairobi. At Dennis's home we catch up on each other's lives and the happenings in Kenya and Zambia. We later enjoy a delicious meal. Later Dennis drops Rhoda and I off at our places of abode. Before dropping me Dennis drives through a street where there is Nairobi Baptist Church. The church was recently extended to accommodate 3000 people. A mega church of a kind! But do we need such big churches? Sitting 1000 – 3000 people? I don't think so! For fellowship and oversight by the church elders becomes a very big challenge if not an impossible task.



UNESCO Summit (Monday, 28 May)

Monday, finds me making my way to the UNESCO Summit venue – Safari Park Hotel. On my way to the hotel I chat with my neighbours on the bus. They are two Ugandan ladies who are also attending the Summit and eLearning Conference. One of the ladies mentions a Zambian couple she met while studying in the UK. That couple happens to be my church mates! A small world it is indeed. Soon we arrive at Safari Park Hotel. There we look for the room where the Summit is taking place. I meet with a colleague from Mauritius whom I met in Malawi. He later is to chair our paper presentation sessions. The Summit begins with opening remarks followed by keynote addresses. Later four speakers and I make paper presentations. The other presenters are from Kenya, Malawi, South Africa and UK. I am relieved after making my presentation. After a sumptuous lunch the Summit continues with a workshop. The Summit wraps up with a plenary session. Later in the day I meet Pastor and Mrs Masunga of Trinity Baptist Church in town. We have a meal in a restaurant in town. In Kenya eating out is quite common and quite affordable. We have a chat about life in both of our nations and about a business opportunity that is thriving in Kenya, Ghana, South Africa and Angola. Later, I am dropped off at my hotel.



eLearning Africa Conference Official Opening (Tuesday, 29 May)

Tuesday proves to be quite a busy day. On this day, there is the official opening of the eLearning Africa Conference by the Kenyan Minister of Education. This is followed by keynote speeches by distinguished government officials and those from the private sector. After tea break the Conference kicks off with parallel sessions. I choose a session relevant to my field in the TEVET sector. Not an easy task because you equally want to attend the other sessions that are very interesting. After the first sessions, I decide I need to get in town and do some shopping at the Tuesday Masai market. The programme is quite tight so one needs to have a strategy if you are to buy anything and avoid cold looks when you get home when you get home for not having bought anything. After visiting an ATM to get some cash and having some lunch I search for the Masai market. I am able to buy a few sandals and T-shirts for loved ones at home. I also get a photo of a Masai woman whom I have to buy something from in order to photograph. I love the rich colours on their clothes. When all is done I return to my hotel and prepare myself to get back to the Safari Park Hotel where Nokia has organized a cocktail for the Conference participants. As we enjoy our snacks and drinks we watch dances by the Masai, Luhya and Kikuyu tribes. The Masai dancers can really jump high. I make sure I 'catch' one dancer as he jumps up with my camera. After the cocktail comes to an end we are driven back to our respective hotels.

eLearning Africa Conference Session





eLearning Conference closing session (Wednesday, 30 May)

Wednesday finds me making arrangements to get my allowance from my sponsors. While waiting to get the allowance I make my way downtown to Scripture Union (SU) bookshop in order to buy some books, tapes and DVDs. After some meandering and asking around I locate the place. I browse through the books and tapes. I make my way to the hotel where I pick my allowance. Later I return to the SU bookshop to buy the books and DVDs I selected earlier. I then make my way to Safari Park Hotel to attend the Conference. Before the Conference closes I view some displays of computer technology and eLearning technologies. I also take some photos with some Zambian participants. I have been able to network with participants from Malawi, Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Italy, South Africa, Zimbabwe etc. Someone says apart from what you learn the good thing about Conferences is the networking. Back at my hotel I have to email and phone Canada in order to get confirmation of my sponsors paying for accommodation. As a result I only have supper at midnight from a nearby hotel, Kenya Comfort Hotel. Later, I pass through a takeaway where I buy some "Chai" i.e. tea. The Kenyans love their tea! After some packing I retire to bed at 02 30.



Departure to Lusaka (Thursday, 31 May)

On this day I'm up by 05 30 so as to get read in time for my departure back to Zambia. Having packed the night before, my major tasks are to bath, have breakfast and check out of the hotel. These I do one after the other. I then start to wait for the shuttle bus to the airport. As time ticks away from 06 45, I start to have doubts as to whether the bus will come. I make alternative arrangements to travel to the airport with another bus. At the airport I check in and do all the formalities. I then wait along with my Zambian colleagues to board the Air Kenya plane to Lusaka which has a take-off delay of an hour. In due time the boarding call for the plane is given. Passengers board the plane and are set for Lusaka. It's good to get back home. But as I leave Kenya I have impressions of this lovely East African nation.

Masai woman at Tuesday market


Impressions of Kenya


1. The busyness of Nairobi: Nairobi is a city that almost never goes to sleep. Whether it is weekends or late in the night you'll find people moving up and about the streets. Restaurants and Internet cafes are open till late. The traffic jams too are quite long and require much planning by a road user not to get caught up in them.

2. Infrastructure development:
The quality and abundance of infrastructure is quite impressive. The city has a number of hotels, shopping centres and restaurants.

3. Importance attached to education and training: Kenyans generally value education. This is evidenced by the number of universities the nation has such as University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Moi University etc. Kenyans are eager to share knowledge and learn from others.

4. The use of Swahili language:
The use of Swahili enables Kenyans from different tribes to have a common easy language for communication apart from English. The other advantage is that Swahili is also spoken in Tanzania and in Uganda.

5. Growing ties of Eastern African countries: The ties among the three East African nations Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda appear to be growing, with Rwanda also seeking to be part of the East African Community. There are common newspapers such as the East African Standard, publishers such as the Eastern African Publishers. Regional integration and co-operation is important in the growth of national economies.

6. Lastly, the Kenyans are friendly and helpful people.
I have had Kenyan friends whom I met outside Kenya who were friendly and it was an even greater joy to make Kenyan friends within Kenya. It was my joy and pleasure to meet and enjoy fellowship with believers at Trinity Baptist Church in Nairobi. This is a church I had always longed to visit. The Lord in His own ways enabled me to fellowship at this church for a whole day. To Him be the glory! Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)! Memories of Kafue Secondary School The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson. The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 8

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be