Skip to main content

Remembering Cyrus Phiri


REMEMBERING CYRUS PHIRI

December 2008 marked 5 years since the death of Cyrus Phiri. Cyrus at the time of his death was a husband and father. He was also a Baptist pastor and World Vision Programmes co-ordinator. He went to be with the Lord in his early 40’s. I first met Cyrus in 1981 at Kafue Secondary School where he was completing his secondary school (Form 5), while I was starting mine (Form 1). At the time he was the School Captain (Head boy) and Scripture Union Chairman. He was also a very good marathon runner. Let me share my remembrance of Cyrus Phiri by considering his conversion, character and conviction i.e. three C’s.


Conversion

Cyrus became a Christian in 1977 whilst doing his form 1 (grade 8) for you who did grade 10 in 1984. At the time he was involved in the School Choir and Scripture Union. However, he sensed that all these things were just following religious rituals without having a knowledge of Christ. After sharing about his spiritual life with Mrs. Carol Eathorne (Scripture Union patron) he was pointed to Christ and became a Christian. Cyrus then became a keen disciple of Christ and loved to preach and sing of the Savior. I remember some songs he sang like “There’s a man on the Cross, His name is Jesus Christ the Son of God”, I am going to a city where the roses never fade”. He was a very good guitar player.

Character and Personality

Cyrus was a quiet and honest man. However, he carried a lot of authority with him in whatever leadership position he had. When he called for attention in the dining hall to make announcements boys paid attention and became quite! He was a very smart man. As a student he had very well ironed uniforms. Cyrus also took a keen interest in you as a person. Despite being a Head Boy and School Captain he could make time to listen to you. He also had a good command of the queen’s language. Cyrus was someone who was loved and respected by pupils and teachers alike.

Conviction

Cyrus did what he did in life because of conviction. He loved to preach and sing because he was convinced of Christ as Saviour of the world. Cyrus because of his convictions would run from Lusaka to Livingstone to Kitwe for the cause of HIV & AIDS. He had lost siblings and instead of talk about it. He decided to do something to raise awareness about this disease. As Chairman of Scripture Union at school he encouraged us to meet in hostels as believers to study God’s word and pray together. He would attend SU meetings, sing in the choir (with his lovely soparano voice) and preach in SU, school services and school community with much passion.

Conclusion

As I end I quote these words from the song “I am going to a city” Cyrus used to sing at secondary school. These words were so fitting at his death. He is now in that city of the blessed.

I am going to a city
Where the roses never fade,
Here they bloom but for a season,
Soon their beauty is decayed;
Where the tree of life is bloomimg
And the roses never fade.

I am going to a city
Where the roses never fade,
Here they bloom but for a season,
Soon their beauty is decayed;
We'll be free from all temptations
Where the roses never fade.

I am going to a city
Where the roses never fade,
Loved ones gone to be with Jesus,
In their robes of white arrayed,
Now are waiting for my coming
Where the roses never fade.

Comments

Brian Stubbings said…
Hello Gabriel,
I was a teacher of history and English at Kafue Secondary from 1971-78, so Cyrus Phiri would have been a student when I was teaching there. I know the Eathorne's and Orridges very well as well as Lawrence Chibutu, Martin Ndema, Dave Grogan and many former teachers who taught at Kafue in the 1970's, as well as a few old boys like Jimmy Mashinkila and Wynter Kabimba. I have many fond memories of Kafue. I was the choir master from 1972-78 and introduced the use of drums, rattles and sings in several languages especially Tonga. I had a composers club that went to places around Mumbwa, Monze, Masuku and far away places in the Gwembe Valley like Chief Mweemba's Village, to record traditional songs. I think I recorded about 500 Tonga,Lenje, Goba songs over the years. Our choir was inspiring and appeared on radio and national TV as well as various churches inthe UCZ, the Anglican Cathedral in Lusaka and Mission Stations. I would occasionally preach in Siakomaunie Village, just south of the Kafue River and would take the choir or quartet with me. I wonder if Cyrus was in my choir in 1978? In 1982 I was teaching in Malawi and my family visited Kafue in August or September 1982 and I went over some hymns from Africa Praise, the hymn book we used at the time. I hope some day to revisit KSS, but I hope I won't be too disappointed by the condition of the school.
Brian Stubbings
Unknown said…
Hi Gabriel ,

I was a student at Kafue boys from 1975 thru 1978. I don't remember Cyrus, but I do remember Mr Stubbings and all the teachers in his comments. My favorite was Mr Grogan.

Martin Chiwama.

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)! Memories of Kafue Secondary School The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson. The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 8

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be