Skip to main content

One Hundred Thousand Welcomes! to Ireland

Ireland, also known as the Emerald Isle, is renowned for its charm, warmth and fun loving people. From the richness of it’s history and culture to the beauty of the countryside, it has a magical way of capturing your heart. On 17th August 2008, I landed at Dublin International Airport in Ireland. This was after a long journey that started on 16th August from Lusaka International Airport in Zambia at 07 20 using South African Airways. I had breakfast on the plane which I found not to be as much as in previous flights. Anyway almost 2 hours later I landed at O R Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg. After doing the immigration formalities I requested to go into town so as to do some shopping and site-seeing. This was due to the fact that my stop-over was 12 hours long! I was met by Leon and the mum from Kempton Park in Johannesburg. Leon’s mum dropped us at the Festival Shopping Mall in Kempton Park. Before shopping Leon and I had a delicious lunch. Thereafter, we went shopping for a laptop which we eventually found in a computer shop and at a good price. Later I went to Leon’s home where I relaxed and had some snacks. We returned to the Mall again to buy some software for the laptop. I also met Nelson and Rosemary from Pretoria and handed over to them something good.


Heading for Dublin

Tiffy River in Dublin


At about 18 00 I headed towards the airport to check in for my flight at 21 00. The flight using British Airways (BA) was on time. Then began the long haul to Dublin of almost 10 hours. This comprised lots of sleeping (rare time that I’ve slept soundly in a plane!), having dinner, reading, typing on my laptop and listening to music and watching some comedies. The flight was smooth except some turbulence at some point, where I was woken up to fasten my seat belt and sit up right. I arrived at Heathrow International Airport in London in the morning. That airport is very big. I had to take a base to move from the arrival terminal to the departure terminal. The immigration formalities were quite cumbersome and involved me detained for a few minutes because a transit Visa through London. Asked if I didn’t research on the need for a transit visa, my answer was that I was going to Ireland and not UK! One thing I learnt is the importance of patiently and carefully answering questions which may seem irrelevant. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was granted a transit visa for 24 hours. At about 10 00, I boarded a plane from London to Dublin. The flight takes 1 hour and there are flights from London to Dublin and vice-versa every hour.

Arriving in Dublin

After a long flight I was finally in Dublin. Dublin is divided into two parts: North and South by the Tiffy river. The South part is for the more wealthy Irish people while the North is for the poorer lot. I was there to attend a UNESCO Seminar that sought to promote North-South Co-operation. I got on a bus from the airport into town. Armed with a map, I asked passengers where to get off the bus so as to get to Harcourt Hotel where I was booked. True as my mother always told me if you know how to use your mother you cannot get lost. After checking in at the hotel, I went to have a meal. Later I went into town to look around. I went to St Stephen’s Green Shopping Mall. It is a beautiful well designed mall with a lot of glass works and flowers. I did a bit of shopping and tried to get a bus to attend a service at Grosvenor Baptist Church. However, I couldn’t find a bus, and as it was getting late I returned to the hotel to meet delegates from other countries. Delegates were drawn from various African, American, Asian and European nations. The session at the hotel was meant to know one another and be introduced to the programme of the Seminar.


Seminar Proceedings

Gabriel with UNESCO participants at Dublin Institute of Technology


The Seminar was officially opened on 18th August by Eibhlin Byrne, the Lord Mayor of Dublin, who welcomed delegates to Dublin in particular and Ireland in general. The seminar was held at Dublin Institute of Technology who were also the hosts. The rest of the programme comprised country presentations on the status of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in the respective countries. This was followed by a time of question and answer. Later key presentations by TVET experts on various aspects of TVET were made. Group discussions were also held to come up with recommendations on how co-operation among North-South countries could be enhanced. The Seminar organisers organised lunch and dinner, a guided walk into town. This enabled us to appreciate the Irish culture and the city of Dublin.


Impressions of Ireland

Ireland is the third largest island in Europe. It is a beautiful island with friendly people. It would be very ambitious to give a very holistic impressions for a place where one only stayed for four days. However, I can say I was impressed by:

Firstly, the friendliness of the people. Normally one hears of people in the West not being too welcoming. I found the Irish easy to talk and relate to.

Secondly, the cleanliness of the city. Generally cities are known for not being too clean. Dublin is a city that is in the exception. Cleanliness is taken very seriously and one finds workers cleaning the city day and night. I noticed posters denouncing those who love filth. We need to learn that as a nation. There is no virtue in dirtiness or “uve” as the Chewa’s in Eastern Zambia s say.

Gabriel at Trinity College, Dublin

Thirdly, the good maintenance of property. Dublin is an old city. It has old buildings such as churches, colleges, universities, pubs, houses that have stood for hundreds of years. I was impressed to see Trinity College. It is a hive of activity visited by many tourists. It was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth. It was not until the 1970s that Catholics started entering the university, as they were banned by the archbishop. Among many famous students to attend the college were playwrights Oliver Goldsmith and Samuel Beckett. Trinity's lawns and cobbled quads provide a pleasant haven in the heart of the city. The major attractions are the Old Library and the Book of Kells, housed in the Treasury.

Fourthly, the passion for tourism. Dublin buzzes with tourism. Certainly Lusaka and other Zambian towns can do much better. We have much to show, don’t we?

I can say much more but let this suffice. However, Ireland like any other nation needs our prayers. Prayer for the gospel to spread its wings throughout the Island.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)! Memories of Kafue Secondary School The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson. The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 8

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be