Skip to main content

Revisiting My School

Travelling to Kafue
On 23 October 2008, I travelled to Kafue Secondary School in Kafue. Kafue is in Lusaka Province of Zambia. It has Kafue river (one of Zambia's four major river's). The town has been known for the now defunct Kafue Textiles and Nitrogen Chemicals. Other places of interest are Kafue River Cliff (a boating club), Kafue Gorge (where electricity is generated) and Kafue Secondary School. The town has not underone much change over the years. Most of the infrastructure is very old and in astate of disrepair. And yet the town is very close to the Capital city (45 km)!

Memories of Kafue Secondary School
The school is owned by the United Church of Zambia which works in partnership with the government. The school is 42 years old, though it existed as Kafue Trades Institute before Independence. My trip to Kafue Secondary School was in order to attend a funeral of Maureen, wife to my cousin Paulson.
The first memento of my school (where I did my form 1 - 5 from 1981 to 85) was the old bus stop. We spent many a Saturday morning looking at cars. Playing games that the white ones were mine, the black his, the grey his etc. If you were good in Maths, white was the colour to choose! I walked to the school (about 20 minutes walk) as my nephew who was to pick me up was tied up in a family meeting. The first buildings to be seen upon entering the school gate were dormitories or hostels. I took a walk to Morley hostel where I was in forms 1 and 2. I can't see much as there is power blackout or load-shedding. I had a chat with the headboy.

















School Chapel etc Other buildings that I saw were our dining hall, school hall, tuckshop, classrooms (my form 5 classroom: I'm standing in front of my form class in the third photo), admin block (see photo above), chapel. The chapel (see photo on left side) is a red brick building. In that chapel many a gospel sermon was preached with many a hymn sang. It was listening to a sermon on the New Birth in that chapel, that I first saw the light of the gospel in 1981. Daily services were held in the chapel were held before classes. The daily reading and sharing of God's word, I believe was useful in moulding the lives of youths into responsible citizens while some turned from darkness to light. It was in that chapel that I learnt a number of hymns in English and Chitonga. The chapel also hosted the National Scripture Union Conference in 1984 and Youth Conferences by UCZ and Lusaka Baptist Church.
Buildings and land I also saw some teacher's houses. Some efforts have been made to maintain some of them but more needs to be done. This is a challenge that we face. Maintenance of infrastructure. In some cases it is not really an issue of money but attitude. Good attitude and good planning can lead to better maintenance of infrastructure. Kafue Secondary School, is one of the few schools in Zambia with vast tracts of land. It was sad to note that most of the land lies idle when so much can be grown on the land. In my school days, when the farm was managed by an American, lots of crops like maize and wheat grown on the land. The fields were so big that they were nicknamed "Siberia".

Conclusion
It was an emotional time to visit my former school. A time filled with joy and sadness. This is a school where I met and made friends such as Christian Kasumo, Johnson Malipenga, Barnabas Chiboboka, Billy Sichone, late Cyrus Phiri (died 2003), Oliver Singogo and my senior friends such as Steve Winter, Ron and Carol Eathorne, Derryck Orridge and Nimrod Siluyele (current Bursaries Secretary at Ministry of Education). It was good to meet my former teacher of English and Religious Education, from form 1 - 3 (1981 - 83), Mrs. Tembo (see lady in white top in above photo).

Comments

david76 said…
Thank you, Gabriel, for this account of your return to KSS.............many happy memories are awakened.............
Speak to you soon,
Twalumba loko,
David (and Barbara)
Unknown said…
Nice piece of writing. It is always nice to visit Kafue Boys Secondary School. I studied there from 2001-2005. I am completing under graduate program in may of 2012 and i am happy to say that I will going back to Kafue Boys this June, except this time I am going to teach. I will be doing my teaching practice from June to July. Will post more information and pictures then. Lastly I was also in Morley grades 8 and 9. Thereafter I moved to Hogg East.

Thank you
Laz the man... said…
Wow, this has certainly made my day. To see the picture of that good old chapel and the administration block is just priceless. I graduated from this great school in 88 and still retain fond memories of the three years i spent there . Nice too to see ba Mrs.Tembo , she was my R.E teacher if my memory serves me good...i go back to zambia this summer having lived overseas for nearly two decades and i think a trip to my old schools will be high on my agenda. i owe it to this school everything i have achieved in life and i will certainly look at what contribution i can make to show appreciation for the gift of education this school gave me...nice one Gab..
Unknown said…
Thanks Gabriel for your description. My wife and I visited Kafue Secondary in 2014 with Jimmy Mashinkila, a Kafue old boy. I taught at Kafue from 1971-78 and was also in charge of the choir. I was glad to see the new ablution block close to completion as well as the new dorm and piggery. The old staff room is now the computer room, but most of the classrooms that have been there from the 50's are still there and badly in need of repair. Are the chalkboards even useable? The new admin block, built in the early 80's is excellent and we were warmly welcomed by the chaplain, boarding master and staff who were teaching during the holidays. In the 70's there were only 500 students at Kafue. After that too many students were admitted and since then sleeping and classroom space is limited. The Tonga service used to be at 9:30 am and then a compulsory service for students and staff was held at 5:00 pm each Sunday. The singing was wonderful. We used Africa Praise for congregational singing while the choir sang in several languages, mostly English, Tonga and Bemba. Students had to do community work. Juniors one after noon seniors another. They kept the school garbage free. I saw in 2014 a lot of deforestation, erosion and poor utilization of the land. All houses had quite large plots of land going towards the Kafue River. The produce was sold to staff and the kitchen. This profit allowed each house to buy tools, irons and other necessities and have a good party in October. We had adequate books and teachers were extremely conscientious. those times were some of the best in my life!! Brian Stubbings

Popular posts from this blog

Micahel Eaton: Biographical Sketch

Michael Eaton was the fourth pastor of Lusaka Baptist Church from 1976 to 1977. He was a good expository preacher/teacher and prolific writer of many Christian books including commentaries on a number of books of the Bible. Michael Eaton was born in 1941. He came from a very ordinary family in London. He became a Christian (late 1950s) when he was a teenager through a youth group in an Evangelical Anglican Church. The Billy Graham campaigns in London may also have played some part in his salvation. He did his Bachelor of Divinity at Tyndale House Cambridge. He then entered the ministry as a curate (assistant minister) at an Anglican church in Surrey, England. In 1967, he resigned from the Anglican ministry on theological grounds and joined an Evangelical Free Church in south-west London. In March 1969 he moved to Zambia where he and his wife Jenny joined Lusaka Baptist Church and later became a deacon and an elder. From early days in the church he taught an adu

Remembering Uncle Eliphaz Twenty Years Plus On

Uncle Eliphaz, known in full as Eliphaz Simwatachela Konayuma, was the young brother to my late father. He was born in 1939 and died in July 2001 at the age of 62. Ba Eliphaz was an accomplished educator who rose from the ranks of a teacher in Southern Province to an Education Officer in Kasempa, in North-Western Province. He was married to Diana Njase with whom he had the following children: Gustav, Peggy, Sladden, Obrien, Africa and Emmanuel. Uncle Eliphaz was a handsome and generally quiet man, but when you were with him, he had a number of stories to tell. He was a humorous man with a winsome smile. He was also an intelligent and smart man with a characteristic style of combing hair backwards which I copied for some time as a child. As a smart man, in terms of bathing he could take at least an hour to bath! Uncle Eliphaz would visit our home regularly especially when we lived in Emmasdale in Lusaka. My late young sister Linda stayed at the home of Uncle Eliphaz in Monze when she be